New Zealand Council of Legal Education
|Work of the Council
The Council is an independent statutory body. The general activities of the Council concern public interest and regulatory matters and centre on the Council's responsibilities for the quality and provision of education and practical legal training that is required to be undertaken by any person either within New Zealand or from overseas wishing to be admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand.
These general activities include:
- Defining and prescribing courses of study for the examination and practical legal training of persons wishing to be admitted as barristers and solicitors in New Zealand
- Arranging for the provision of those courses of study
- Arranging for the moderation and assessment of those courses of study
- Delivery of practical legal training
- Assessment of qualifications particularly those of overseas law graduates and legal practitioners wishing to practise in New Zealand
- Arranging for the provision of research as necessary, and tendering advice on legal education
- Administering and conducting certain examinations required to be taken by some overseas and other applicants.
CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR HOLIDAY PERIOD 2016/2017 OFFICE CLOSURE
The Council’s offices are scheduled to close on Friday 16th December 2016 and to re-open on Monday 16th January 2017 at 10.00am. No applications for assessment of overseas qualifications or completion certificates will be processed during this closure.
Home | About Us | What's New | Background |Eligibility to enter PLSC |Stale Qualifications | Certificates of Completion | Overseas Qualifications | Law Practice Exam | Council Members | Links | Contact Us
Copyright © Council of Legal Education. All rights reserved. You may not copy, republish or distribute this page or the content from the page without having obtained written permission from the Chief Executive of the Council of Legal Education.
This is the only official website of the New Zealand Council of Legal Education. The Council takes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of information provided about the Council or its operations on third party websites.